SchoolKhojo joins hands with Coca Cola India and NDTV in spreading awareness about MISSION 1000, SUPPORT MY SCHOOL.
There are 1.45 million schools in India, of these only 50% schools are sought after. Of these most are government run schools where lack of basic amenities prevent parents from sending their children to these schools.
- Basic lack of water, soap and hygienic condition in the school is the most important reason for poor attendance in the government run schools.
- This has led to water borne diseases in the children who visit the school which kills one child every 8 sec!
- Of the 1.54 million children between age group 6 to 18 years, only 0.75 million go to schools. The other half do not.
- After research, it has been a shocking revelation that 50% schools in rural India, do not have separate girls’ toilet!
A few important points that must be ensured to attract more student to such schools are as follows:
- Each school must have separate girls and boys toilets.
- There must be supply of enough soaps in the schools.
- There must be enough water supply for hand wash and flush.
- Implementation of rain water harvesting in the schools will solve at-least the water supply issue.
Reaching out to close to 7.5 Lakh schools is a humongous task.
‘Support My School’ is an initiative by Coca-Cola India and NDTV that was launched in 2011 to help tackle this issue slowly but steadily in January 2011. ‘Support My School’ is a public private partnership to empower underprivileged schools by providing basic infrastructure for clean water and sanitation facilities in 1000 school in rural India.
As of now more than 600 schools have benefitted from the ‘Support My School’ initiative and increased the school enrolment from 6.95% to 14.77% in just one year.
SchoolKhojo is also joining hands with the cause and ‘Support My School’ by creating awareness in the minds of the caring public in urban India.
‘Support My School’ supports the cause “Swach Bharat Abhiyaan” initiated in 2015 by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Many celebrities have joined hands with Coca-Cola and NDTV‘s joint effort to increase the awareness amongst their followers. Sourabh Ganguly, Ranbeer Singh, Venkatesh Kini are a few to name. So what are you waiting for?
Let’s share this wonderful initiative to ensure that 1000 Schools are empowered via ‘Support My School’ program by NDTV and Coca Cola India.